I am Catherine Cleveland and I am a licensed mental health counselor. I am here to help you. You are not alone.
As your counselor, I will provide you with a private, safe, and compassionate setting to help you achieve your mental health goals. I use a collaborative and nonjudgmental approach to help you navigate through your challenges and successfully bring about the changes your desire.
Cleveland Emotional Health is conveniently located at 61 Main Street, Suite #4 in Geneseo, New York, 30 minutes south of Rochester.
However, if you do not live in the area, have mobility or transportation problems, I welcome online video sessions (telemental health). No matter what you’re going through, I am here with you.
Reasons to Consider Me as Your Counselor
- As you know, choosing a counselor is an important decision. Reaching out almost always brings up anxiety – will they understand me? Can I trust this person with my thoughts, feelings? Will they really be able to help me? Everyone shares these questions in one form or another. Regardless if you had therapy in the past, or this may be your first time, it can be difficult to take that first step! I am a kind, strengths-based, compassionate, and nonjudgmental counselor.
- As your counselor, I will create a space for you to safely and privately express your problems and personal pain.
- To enhance your counseling experience, I encourage you to text, email me, or use your personal online journal (in your secure client portal) between sessions to help you express your thoughts in the moment.
My Continuing Education
- With great privilege, I Graduated (with honors) and hold a Master’s Degree from the University of Rochester in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- As a current doctoral student at the University of Rochester, I am honored to be in my third year at the University of Rochester’s Warner School’s esteemed Ph.D. program, Counseling and Counseling Education. My Ph.D. program keeps me up-to-date on interventions and treatments on evidence-based practices, and practice-based evidence.
- From my vigorous education, I have the great fortune to train with and be supervised by many of the best researchers and educators in the field. These distinguished individuals include Dr. Andre Marquis (my advisor) and Dr. Doug Guiffrida (my mentor).
My Research Interests
- Through rigorous educations, my research interests relate to how the mind and body are connected. Also, how distress impacts the central nervous system and the long-term effects of emotional neglect. Physical reactions to distress often go unnoticed (neuroception), which can result in lifelong physical health issues, including chronic pain, depression, anxiety, mood, and personality disorders.
- In Addition, I am currently studying how the theory of constructed emotion neurologically differs from the classical theories of basic emotions delineating any implications on contemporary experiential dynamic therapy.
- I do not specialize in counseling clients under the age of 14.
- I am qualified to work with a wide variety of clients and problems, but sometimes I may not have the training needed to address a particular concern. If this is the case, I will discuss it with you and make sure that you receive a referral to another professional who is better qualified to serve you.
- Therefore, if you do not want to explore how personality dynamics, personal history, and internal conflicts that may contribute to your problems, I may not be the best counselor for you.
- Also, if you are having current hallucinations/delusions, severe thoughts of suicide or self-harm, or extreme Bipolar mood swings you may need more support than I can offer you through weekly psychotherapy, and I reserve the right to refer you to a different or more intensive treatment if I believe you exceed the level of care I can offer.